Rugby Americas North is deeply saddened to hear of the passing of Pearse Higgins
Higgins acted as NACRA’s (now RAN) President between 2007 – 2009 and was on its Executive Committee until 2012, serving as the Regional Association’s Representative on the IRB Council from 2009 -2012.
“For more than 50 years Pearse has been a dedicated servant to the game of rugby – both in Canada and throughout North America and the Caribbean,” said RAN’s President, George Nicholson.
“Pearse’s contributions to the sport of rugby spans across all areas of the game, including refereeing, administration, governance, coaching and he will be sorely missed by all who knew him,” added Nicholson.
Pearse Higgins Rugby Accolades
- In 1970, made entry into refereeing after a career with the Toronto Irish (now Markham)
- Member of the Ontario Referee panel in 1980, refereed many games at the branch and provincial level
- Refereed Ontario Rugby provincial titles including: Carling Cup, McCormick Cup, and OUA Finals
- Promoted to the Rugby Canada Referee panel in 1983 – officiated National Championships at various age grade levels
- Officiated at the international level including World Cup qualifying games for Japan and Uruguay, as well as Australia in a friendly match
- Past member of the Rugby Canada Board of Directors, Rugby Ontario Board of Directors, Rugby Canada Referee and Laws Committee
- Also served as North America representative for NACRA (now RAN) on the IRB Council, as well as various advisory roles for coaching and selection of match officials in Canada