- Opening round of the World Rugby HSBC Sevens Challenger 2024 takes place at The Sevens Stadium in Dubai on 12-14 January
- The 12-team men’s and women’s competition format replicates the Olympic Games with three pools of four teams each
- The Challenger runs from January to May with men’s and women’s combined events in Dubai, UAE and Montevideo, Uruguay before standalone events in Germany and Poland for men and women respectively
- The Challenger provides a promotion pathway to HSBC SVNS 2025 with the top four placed men’s and women’s teams securing their place in the newpromotion and relegation play-off competition at the HSBC SVNS 2024 Grand Final in Madrid
- All six World Rugby regions represented in competition designed to boost the global development of rugby sevens
The captains of the 12 women’s and 12 men’s teams gathered at Dubai Creek Harbour on Wednesday ahead of the opening round of the World Rugby HSBC Sevens Challenger 2024, which takes place at The Sevens Stadium in Dubai on January 12-14.
There is more to play for than ever before in this year’s Challenger with the competition expanded to three rounds and the top four placed men’s and women’s teams qualifying for the new promotion and relegation play-off competition at the HSBC SVNS 2024 Grand Final in Madrid.
The Challenger tournaments replicate the Olympic Games competition format, with the 12 teams drawn into three pools of four teams each. The top two from each pool as well as the two best third-placed finishers will qualify for the knockout stages with quarter-finals and semi-finals leading to the third place and gold medal matches.
The Challenger was introduced in February 2020 to boost the development of rugby sevens across the globe and provide a clear promotion pathway to reach the top level of global rugby sevens for the short format of the game which has experienced huge growth over the past two decades since the introduction of the global sevens series and becoming an Olympic sport at the Rio 2016 Games.
The 2024 edition of the Challenger competition kicks off with combined events at The Sevens Stadium in Dubai on January 12-14, followed by Estadio Charrúa in Montevideo, Uruguay on March 8-10 before standalone women’s and men’s events at Henryk Reyman’s Municipal Stadium in Krakow, Poland and Dantestadion in Munich, Germany respectively on May 18-19.
HSBC World Rugby Sevens Challenger 2024 dates:
Dubai, UAE – January 12-14 (men and women)
Montevideo, Uruguay – March 8-10 (men and women)
Krakow, Poland – May 18-19 (women)
Munich, Germany – May 18-19 (men)
The pool draw, which took place in December during the HSBC SVNS 2024 opening round at the same venue in Dubai, produced some exciting match-ups. Three teams in the men’s competition – Uruguay, Japan and Kenya – have already booked their places at the Olympic Games Paris 2024 and they headline Pools A, B and C respectively. All teams qualified for the Challenger 2024 through regional competitions, with Mexico Men and Women both qualifying at the 2023 RAN Sevens in Langford, British Columbia with their respective wins over Jamaica.
Pool A: Uruguay, Hong Kong China, Papua New Guinea, Georgia
Pool B: Japan, Tonga, Chile, Portugal
Pool C: Kenya, Germany, Uganda, Mexico
Pool A: Belgium, Thailand, Papua New Guinea, Uganda
Pool B: China, Czechia, Mexico, Kenya
Pool C: Poland, Hong Kong China, Paraguay, Argentina
Match times below are in Dubai’s local time – GST